I have spent over 20 years working in Marketing and Advertising, in Europe, New Zealand, Australia and Fiji, culminating in 5 years as Managing Director of an International Advertising Agency. I am now using my experience of business and 3 years as Marketing Manager of Northland Polytechnic as a lecturer at AIS.
- 2008 – Current Lecturer, AIS New Zealand.
- 2006 – 2008 Lecturer, Ascent/APL NZ.
- 2003 – 2006 Lecturer, NZSTT NZ.
- 2000 – 2003 Consultant, NPM Consulting, NZ.
- 1997 – 2000 Marketing Manager, Northland Polytechnic, NZ.
- 1994 – 1997 Consultant NPM Consulting, NZ.
- 1989 – 1994 Managing Director, IHJ Advertising, Fiji.
- 1985 – 1989 Account Director, MacHarman – Ayer, NZ.
- 1982 – 1985 Account Director, McCann – Erickson, NZ.
- 1981 – 1982 Senior Market Research Officer, AHI, NZ.
- 1980 – 1981 Marketing Manager. Oldham Signs, UK.
- 1979 – 1980 Marketing Manager. Damart, UK.
- 1977 – 1979 Sales Representative, Proctor & Gamble, UK.
- 1975 – 1977 Production Manager, Gland Supplies, UK.
- BSc (Hons). Management Sciences, Manchester
- Certificate in Tertiary Teaching (Merit), AUT
I have spent the majority of my time working on the commercial side for both marketing and advertising companies, as well as working 1 year for the research department of AHI.
Books and Book Chapters
- Brown, A., McCracken, N. & Al-Shamaa, S. (2014). Attendance and self-study habit for international students in New Zealand.
Invited Research Presentations (selection)
- AIS: The effects of the recession on Consumer Behaviour.
- AIS: SWOT analysis of AIS by current marketing management students.
- AIS: Buying process of AIS education by current consumer behaviour students.
Research Methods Application (Qualitative and Quantitative)
- Focus groups – Ice cream eating habits of NZ.
- Focus groups – Use of fabric softeners in NZ.
- Focus groups – Children’s’ opinions on new flavoured milk flavours in Fiji.
- Data analysis – Manufacture and importation of wire mesh into NZ.
- Data analysis – Effectiveness of different direct mail campaigns. UK.
- Qualitative – Wine retailer’s opinions of new Martinborough labels.
- Qualitative – Retailers opinions on new packaged chicken products.
Industry Involvement (selection)
- Harvey Farms – Possible new products for supermarket.
- New Zealand Stockfoods – Launch of Field days’ presence.
- S. Pacific Distillers – New labelling designs
- Martinborough Wines – New labelling across range.
- Auckland Flour Mills – New premium range concept.
- Purity Foods – Launch of new premium range of ice cream.
- Audi – Launch of A4, A6 & A8 into New Zealand.
- Air Pacific – Both inbound and outbound travel.
- Tip Top Bakery – Organisation of Susan Devoy walk.
- FTIB – Production of Annual Report.
- VAT – Launch of VAT into Fiji.
- L’Oréal – Sales Promotions and packaging.
- Rewa Dairy – Introduction of new flavours to flavoured milk range.
- Northland Polytechnic – Marketing & Communications Manager, 3 years.
- Auckland Racing Club – Rebranding exercise.
- Ellerslie Cricket Club – Fundraising.
- Lotto (Fiji) – Research & launch campaign.
- NZ Ski fields – PR, promotions and opening of a lodge.
- Georgie Pie – Monthly promotions & locating new sites.
- Homestead – Launch into a national brand.
- Bank of Hawaii – Launch in Fiji.
- Caxton Printing Works – Repackaging of Treasures.
- Economics laboratories – Launch od Dove Fabric softener.
- Gillette – Launch of Blue 2 & Silkience.
- Gunn-Gollin – Launch of Birds Eye into NZ.
- Proctor & Gamble – Sales Representative 3 years.
- Rewa Rice – Launch of new types of rice.
- Reckitt and Colman – Advertising of existing products and feasibility of new products.
- Spenser Ayrey – Feasibility studies of new products.
- Zendle industries – Feasibility of buying other companies.
- Walls Ice Cream – Promotions and new product development.
- News Media – Launch of TV Guide.
- Omni Advertising – Restructure of organisation.
- Oldham Signs – Marketing Manage, 2 years.
- BP Oil – Organisation of sponsorship of Friday night rugby league in Fiji.
- OHL – Launch of Trojan into NZ.
- SK&F – Launch of anti-hepatitis B drugs into NZ.
- RB Patel – Weekly promotions.
- Stinson – Pearce – Research on new product possibilities.
- Bubble Up – New packaging.
- Oasis – New packaging for L&P.
- Fiji Mocambo - Rebranding.
Teaching and learning Experience
I have 15 years teaching tertiary education, with the last 9 years teaching in Bachelor of International Business and Bachelor of Travel and Tourism at AIS.
- Marketing Principles
- Marketing Management
- Retail Management
- Services Marketing
- E Marketing
- Consumer Behaviour
- International Marketing
- Marketing Research
- Business Communication
- Human Resource Management
- Organisational Behaviour
- Applied Management Project
- Tourism Marketing
- Human Relationships in Tourism
- Tourism Events Management