1.150 New Zealand Certificate in Language Teaching (Level 5)*
The New Zealand Certificate in Language Teaching (NZCLT) is a recommended qualification for teaching English in New Zealand and overseas. No prior teaching experience is necessary for this programme: NZCLT provides trainees with practical experience of language teaching with ample opportunities to plan, teach and evaluate lessons. Trainees are helped to attain a high level of practical competence along with an understanding of language teaching which is required for employment in this field.
- Plan, practise, present and evaluate a language lesson
- Examine, develop and evaluate classroom materials
- Analyse and understand English language systems
- Comprehend general issues relating to second language teaching and learning
Upon graduation, trainees receive a certificate and a reference letter endorsed by AIS.
* The offering and details of this programme is subject to NZQA approval.
The programme of study shall comprise the following:
- TESL501 English Language Systems and Skills
- TESL502 Learners, Teachers and the Teaching/Learning Context
- TESL503 Lesson Planning and Resources
- TESL504 Teaching Practice
Class times: 9.00am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
DipTchg, CertLTA ATI, DipELT, BA and MA (Ling.)
Main Teaching Field:
Language Teacher Training
Tony Ó Braonáin
BEd and MALT
Main Teaching Field:
General English, Language Teacher Training
AIS NZCLT graduates can get access to employment opportunities within our network of sister schools abroad. Our network includes a number of trusted institutes, colleges and universities in China, Taiwan and South Korea, who are interested in hiring English teachers for extended periods of six months to a year on a contractual basis.
Having the AIS NZCLT certificate on hand combined with a reference letter endorsed by AIS allows graduates to bypass the tedious job search process and start teaching English overseas right away.
Career opportunities in New Zealand
AIS NZCLT graduates who want to stay and work in New Zealand have the option to take English teaching opportunities with various local English language providers or within the AIS English Language Centre as needs may arise. AIS offer career advice and guidance.
Start Dates in 2018
- 18 years and over
- A standard of education that would allow entry into an AIS degree programme
- Successful completion of Pre-Interview Task
- Assessment of suitability for teaching by interview
- IELTS 6.5 with no individual band lower than 6.0 / TOEFL iBT 79 (with a writing score of 21) / Pearson 58 / AIS TEP 56 or equivalent with no band less than 13
Plus a compulsory Student Services Fee of NZ$270 per year (or NZ$27 per month or part thereof).
|2018 Programme Fees:||NZ$2,600|
Plus a compulsory Student Services Fee of NZ$27 per month or part thereof.
This programme is eligible for a student loan from Studylink. Contact Studylink on 0800 88 99 00 or log on to www.studylink.govt.nz to apply for student finance.
How to Apply
Leave us a message below and a representative from AIS will get back to you to answer questions and to guide you further. Applicants are then required to download and complete a Pre-Interview Task and attend a one-to-one interview.