Are there intakes for PGDBA and MBA during the week?

No. All classes for MBA and PGDBA are delivered on the weekend to allow for students that wish to work at the same time.

Do most lecturers have a practical business background?

Yes, most of the lecturers have both a practical and an academic background. 

Bachelors’ Degrees in Business / Tourism Management / Hospitality Management / Information Technology

How long does it take to complete the degree?

Normally three years, but because we have an extra full semester running every year (that is, three semesters, not two), you won’t be wasting long periods on vacation time. A full load is three courses per semester or seven courses per year. However, if three courses are taken every semester, this makes nine courses in a year, and completion of your degree in a shorter timeframe can be accomplished if you pass every course at your first attempt.

Can I work as well as study?

Yes, international students may work up to 20 hours a week if they are enrolled in a diploma or degree programme, and full-time during the summer holiday and semester breaks. However, because our programmes are accelerated, the classes progress very quickly. A full-time student will not have much time to work because there are assignments, readings and tests to be completed. A student is expected to spend at least the same amount of time spent in classrooms on private study, and it may be unrealistic to think that you can work and achieve satisfactory course results as well.

Can I start late or take a vacation in the middle of my studies?

It is unwise to consider a late start or taking a holiday in the middle of a semester. With the exception of public holidays and mid-semester breaks, students need to be in class to maintain an understanding of the topic being taught, and to have a good chance of passing. If you need a break, you are advised to apply for a postponement of one semester.

Can I get cross-credits for study at other institutions?

Yes, if the course content is largely similar and at the same level of difficulty, and you have achieved a passing grade. You will need to provide detailed course outlines and an academic transcript or certificate to prove this. Cross-credits may also be possible for relevant studies which are not taught at AIS. Applications can be made after consultation with your Academic Head of Programme, and can take some weeks for processing because the information you supply must be verified. A fee is payable for cross-credits, unless an agreement exists between the institution and AIS.

Graduate Diplomas

How long does it take to complete a Graduate Diploma?

One full-time year of study.

Can I get cross-credits for study at other institutions?

No, cross-credits are not available for graduate diploma programmes.

English Language Programmes

How do I find my class?

Look for your name on the class rolls posted on the ELC Notice board (situated opposite Room M129).

How can I be promoted to a higher-level class?

After the six-weekly test, the teacher decides who moves. If a teacher thinks you deserve to be moved between tests, or that you are finding the class too difficult, they will ask the Academic Head of the ELC about moving you.

Can I take an IELTS class?

Yes, if you score highly enough in the entrance test.

I want to do more study. What can I do?

Your teacher should give you homework regularly, but if you want to do even more, you can buy a pack of specially-prepared materials from the Accounts Department. These self-study packs come in a variety of levels, include a book and audio, and cost $8.00. The ELC uses its own textbooks. You might have some questions about the books. Here is some information that may be useful. If you have other questions, you can ask your teacher or your Student Services - Marketing officer.

What do the textbooks cover?

Each textbook covers five weeks of study (week Six is test week).

How much do the textbooks cost?

The textbook fee is $20.00 ($12.00 for General English and $8.00 for Skills English) for every six weeks of study or part thereof.

How do I pay for my textbook?

Most students will pay for their textbooks when they pay their fees. Some students who pay their tuition fees to agents will pay for their textbooks on their first day at AIS.

When do I get my textbook?

When you start in the ELC, or every time you change level.

How do I get my textbook?

New students get their textbook on the Monday they start at AIS. Students who change level before the six-week test can get their textbook from the ELC Administrator in room A120 in the Round building on the St Helens Campus.

Why are we using a textbook?

The ELC textbook will give you a clear picture of the study you need to do to quickly improve your English ability. The materials used have all been designed and taught by many ELC teachers over many years, and are now provided in textbook form so that they are easier to study and keep together.